Lacrossemen Impress As They Open Season On Annual Spring Trip

Defeat Penn; Look Good Against Maryland and Navy

The Varsity lacrosse team got only one victory in three starts in its annual Spring vacation trip, but Coach Johnny Witherspoon's men played well in all the games and are looking forward to better things in the regular schedule.

The Crimson stickmen opened with a 4 to 2 win over Penn, thanks to Pete Zouck's two overtime tallies, but then bowed to Maryland 10 to 1 and Navy 7 to 2. It was condition, however, which weighed heavily against them in those last two tilts, because they held both teams even at the end of the first half and weakened in the second. Maryland and Navy usually rank one-two in intercollegiate lacrosse play so the showing made by the Crimson squad was very encouraging.

Witherspoon and Smibbe

Diek Smibbe is helping Johnny Witherspoon, in his first year as Varsity mentor. Between them they seem to have fashioned a strong Harvard team, with Witherspoon working on the defense men and Smibbe on the attack. They have a good supply of veterans, headed by Captain Gordy Halstead, and the team should improve with more work.