Tankmen Score in Post-Season Tourneys as Eric Cutler Stars

Relay Foursome Get Thirds at New Haven and New York in 400-Yard Event.

Harvard swimming meets ended almost a month ago, but the season did not come to an official conclusion for Coach Hal Ulen and four of his mermen until Saturday night in New York at the A. A. U. championships. Captain Eric Cutler, Frannie Powers, Jim Curwen, and Lonnie Stowell composed the quartet if Crimson tankmen seeking post-season laurels.

In the National Intercollegiates at New Haven a week ago, Harvard came away with three thirds, good for 12 points in the team standings. Cutler led the qualifiers in the 440 in 4:54 but had to be content with a third in the finals behind Andy Clark of Wayne and Rene Chouteau of Yale in a 4:50 race. The Harvard captain finished a touch back of Howie Johnson of Yale and Clark in a bitterly contested 220.

Jim Curwen was ruled out of the finals in the 220 when timers and judges disagreed in the trial heat in which he was entered. A man gets into the finals of an event by turning in one of the six best times in the preliminary heats, necessitating multiple coming on each swimmer in each race. Curwen was declared the winner over Sanburn of Yale by the finish judges, but the timers clocked him two-tenths of second slower than the Eli. Unfortunately, the timers' verdict is all-important.

The Crimson relay quartet won a clear-cut third, right back of Michigan and Yale in the Nationals, breaking 3:36 and outdistancing the Tigers by a safe margin. Harvard also took a third in the A. A. U. 400-yard relay on Friday night in New York, trailing the same two teams.

Eric Cutler was good for a fourth in the 220 behind Tom Haynie, Andy Clark, and Howie Johnson, and he took a fifth in the 440, barely touched out by Gilbert of Mercersburg. Once again the Crimson leader was the low qualifier in 4:54.7, and he did about the same in the finals