CLASS ALBUM OMITS SUBJECT OF SEX IN SPITE OF INTIMATE QUESTIONS ON POLL

Donnell Cites Bad Taste, Temporary Value of Answers as Reasons for Cut

"The Truth About 40," an analysis of the Senior Class's "mental, social, and cultural orientation" and the feature article in the Senior Class Album, will carefully skirt all references to sex.

The article, written by Donald McD. D. Thurber '40, is based on an exhaustive questionnaire distributed to all Seniors and answered by 619 members of the Class of 1940. Sandwiched in among questions about the political views and family background of Seniors were two questions which dealt with sex, but the answers to these will not appear in the Album.

Question 24 asked, "Which of the following standards of sex behavior do you practice?" and then listed a few suggestions. Question 25 was, "Would you wish your wife to be a virgin at marriage?"

Poor Taste

John L. Donnell '40, Senior Album Chairman, stated last night that the answers to these questions had been omitted from the article on grounds of taste, but that members of the Album Board would be glad to give them out personally to interested Seniors after the date of publication.

"The Album, board feels not only that it is bad taste to print statistics having to do with such personal matters," Donnell said, "but that these figures are not of permanent value. First of all, they may not be accurate since they are questions which we believe many people may be prone to answer in jest. Secondly, these statistics are of temporary interest, and may not be regarded by members of our class as figures which they will care to refer to over the years in a class book."

Results Available

"The Album board is glad to inform anyone verbally of the results of all questions on the poll," Donnell said. "since we have tabulated them and are in a position to announce the figures. But we do not feel that we are obliged to publish all the results in an article of this type.

"J, as chairman of the Album, wish to state that there has been no coercion by the University to eliminate from this article questions having to do with sex. The decision was made by undergraduates alone," he concluded.