Five Writers to Fill New Instructorships

Baker, Davis, Schorer, Schwartz, and Stegner Will Teach Composition

Five outstanding young writers have been appointed to be the first holders of the new Briggs-Copeland Instructorships in English Composition, it was announced yesterday. The instructorships, named after two famous teachers of composition, LeBaron Russell Briggs and Charles Townsend Copeland, will go into effect next fall.

The new instructors were chosen especially for talent in verse, criticism, or belles-lettres. Each will have at least one section in English A and will be eligible for work in more advanced composition or other English courses.

The writers chosen are: Howard Baker, poet, novelist, and critic, who wrote "Orange Valley" in 1931 and "Induction to Tragedy" in 1939; Robert G. Davis '29, critic, author of reviews and critical articles for many periodicals; Mark Schorer, novelist, essayist, and critic, who wrote the novel "A House Too Old" in 1935, and is now preparing "Live In It Merrily" and "The Revolt of William Blake"; Delmore Schwartz, winner of the Guggenheim award in the field of writing for next year and author of "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities" in 1938; and Wallace Stegner, novelist, who has written "Remembering Laughter" in 1937, "On a Darkling Plain" in 1940, and many short stories and critical articles for periodicals.