Red Cross, Wilhelmina Drives Start Slowly

'Fuller Support' of Students Expected This Week for Humanitarian Funds

Harvard's two humanitarian movements, the Red Cross drive and the "Queen Wilhelmina Fund," got off to a slow start yesterday, but workers for both expressed hopes for "fuller support." Money given for either cause goes to relieve the suffering in Europe.

John F. Kennedy '40, chairman of the Red Cross undergraduate committee, said, "We hope that students will continue to contribute this week and next, even if it is just loose change. If each member of the College could give at least 50 cents, we ought to be able to reach our goal of $1200."

Dime At A Time

He added that it might be easier for students to contribute just a dime or so at a time, or the change from buying a daily paper, rather than making their donations in lump sums. Largest response yesterday came from Eliot House, with about $45 collected.

Lowell House representatives, working on an individual entry system, estimated a total for the day of $25, while collections from other Houses were not tabulated. Peter B. Saltonstall '43, in charge of the Freshman division, said last night, "We haven't got going yet but will start the big drive tomorrow."

"Queen Wilhelmina Fund"

Henry Reiss 2GB, student representative for the "Queen Wilhelmina Fund", reported "only a slight response so far" to the appeal which he made in a letter published in the CRIMSON of May 27. However, he predicted better results after further publicizing through some medium such as posters in the Houses.

President of the "Wilhelmina" committee is Hendrik Willem van Loon '04, while Johannes A. C. F. Auer, Professor of Church History and Parkman Professor of Theology, is head of the New England chapter.

Contributions, which will be used for the aid of Dutch refugees, can be sent to Professor Auer at 111 Fletcher Road, Belmont; to Reiss at C-32 Hamilton Hall, Harvard Business School; or to Holland-America Lines, 555 Boylston Street, Boston. Reiss asked for "one dollar or less" from each student.