Roosevelt Conquers '43 Poll; Willkie Tops GOP

'Willkie for President' Club Ballot Backfires as F.D.R. and Hull Sweep Out G.O.P. White Hopes

Roosevelt and Willkie are the presidential candidates favored by the Freshman Class, according to a poll held in the Union yesterday by the Willkie for President Committee, and answered by 560 men.

The poll, designed to sound out the sentiment of the Class and, incidentally, to test the efficacy of the recent and enthusiastic Willkie drive, turned out encouragingly for the Willkie admirers, it was announced by David E. Place '43, chairman of the Committee.

52 percent of the Freshmen favor Willkie as the Republican choice, while only 14 percent voted for Dewey, 12 percent for Taft, 7.2 percent for Hoover, and 6.9 percent for Vaudenburg. The remaining 8 percent of the votes were split among Martin, McNary, Knox, Bricker, Landon, and MacNider.

Roosevelt Favored

President Roosevelt was the favorite Democratic candidate, bagging 61 percent of the votes. Hull got 24 percent, Garner received 4 1/2 percent and the remaining 10 percent of the votes went to McNutt, Wheeler, Jackson, and Farley.

The poll was run in such a way that all voters, no matter what their party, designated their choice for the nominee of both the Republican and the Democratic parties. Then they were asked to designate their preference between the two men they had nominated. 52 percent of the voters voted Democrat; 48 percent favored the Republicans.

"This, however," Place optimistically explained, "is largely due to the fact that there were more Republican candidates to split the votes among, and also that Willkie is still considered a dark horse.