Summer School Plans 20 Courses Not Presented in Winter Session

Curriculum Includes New Courses in History, Art, Dramatic Technique, Regional Planning--Henry Russell, Marshak, John Mason Brown Will Give Lectures

Some twenty courses in arts and sciences, not offered on the regular Harvard College winter curriculum, will be scheduled by the six-week summer session starting July 1, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology and director, announced today.

Among the new courses are several in the field of the history, art and practice of the drama; several special courses in English and American literature; courses in the effect of climate on man; a course in regional planning; studies of Latin American government and economic policies; a course in evolution of the materials of music; and a study of the psychology of literature.

Outstanding Offering

An outstanding offering in science will be "Introduction to Cosmogony" by Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy, with the assistance of a number of visiting celebrities in the fields of cosmic rays, relativity, stellar energy, geology, and stellar evolution.

Among the visitors will be Professor Henry N. Russell, Director of Princeton Observatory; Robert E. Marshak, University of Rochester, collaborator with H. A. Bethe on the theory of generation of solar energy; Ivan A. Getting, Research Fellow in preventive medicine and epidemiology, Harvard cosmic ray specialist; Professor Mather; and others.

Brown to Lecture

John Mason Brown '23, drama critic of the New York Post and Winthrop Ames Lecturer at Harvard this spring, will give courses in the history of the modern theatre, and on the theatre as seen by its critics.

In addition there will be courses in play production, utilizing the stage facilities of the Hasty Pudding Theatre; the course work includes preparation of an evening of one-act plays for presentation to the summer school.

Lee Simonson '08, noted New York stage designer, Walter Pritchard Eaton '00, of the Yale School of the Drama, and other specialists in this field will hold seminars connected with the summer dramatic courses.

Course in Regional Planning

The course in Regional Planning, which will cover general theory, techniques, and problems in the field, as well as the work of various agencies, will be conducted by Oscar Sutermeinter '32.

Ellsworth Huntington, famous Yale University geographer, who has pioneered in work on the effect of climate on man, will give two courses entitled "Climate and Man," and "Nature and Man in Asia."

New courses in the field of literature will be: "English Literature from 1550 to 1600" by Hyder E. Rollins, Gurney Professor of English Literature; "Bunyan and his Contemporaries," by Professor James B. Wharey, University of Texas; "The Prose Writers of the Augustan Age," Professor Roger P. McCutchoon, of Tulane University; "Mark Twain and His Contemporaries," by Associate Professor Walter Blair, of University of Chicago.

"Modern German Civilization"

"Modern German Civilization and Its Philosophical Basis" will be a course by Friedrich C. Sell, visiting lecturer on German Literature, taking up a survey of the political, social, and intellectual development of Germany, especially in the 20th century.

There will be two courses in Latin-American politics, given by Assistant Professor Enrique S. De Lozada, of Williams College, formerly First Secretary of the Bolivian Embassy, in Washington. The course titles will be: "New Factors in International Relations: Latin America"; and "Current Trends in Latin-American Governmental Policies."

Other Courses

Other new courses will be: "The Psychology of Literature" by Donald V. McGranahan '35, instructor in Psychology; "Evolution of the Materials of Music," by Professor George S. Dickinson, of Vassar; and "The Organic Individual: Its Evolution, Reproduction, and Nature," by Herbert W. Rand '17, associate professor of Zoology, emeritus.

The summer school expects an enrollment of between 2000 and 2500 students, will have a faculty of 173 from 25 colleges and universities, and will offer altogether 250 courses, Dr. Mather said. Most of the courses count as a half-course toward the Harvard degree. The work is open to both men and women, without formal academic requirements for admission.