Freshman, Radcliffe Sophomore Find They're Parents of 7 Year Old Child

Michael Clark, Janet Thompson Named Guardians of Civil War Refugee

A Harvard Freshman and a Radcliffe Sophomore found yesterday that they were the proud father and mother of a seven year old baby girl.

The Yardling, Michael K. Clark, of Hollis Hall and New York City, was informed by mail that he and Miss Janet Thompson had been appointed as foster parents over a tiny Spanish refugee, Concha Romero Bonilla, who is at present being taken care of in a children's colony near Biarritz in Southern France.

Keep Child in Camp

Clark became connected with his now "adopted" daughter through the Foster Parents' Plan for War Children in New York. He and Miss Thompson will supply nine dollars a month to support Concha in the refugee camp.

According to the letter announcing Clark's appointment as a father, Concha is "one of those sensitive children who have felt the war and its hardships very, very deeply. She seems to have been completely wrecked mentally."

A picture of the little girl shows her to be a thin. sad-eyed, frightened child who looks in need of nourishment. The letter expressed a hope that the leaders of the children's colony would be able to dispel her sadness.

At the present time, however, she trusts no one and is extremely nervous and sensitive. She does have a love for sewing, and the camp is supplying her with articles to saw in order to keep her happy.

Sex a Surprise

Clark first found out about the Foster Parents' scheme when he was in France last summer. He wrote during the winter with Miss Thompson, but they made no stipulations as to whether they wanted a little Spanish boy or a little Spanish girl, and the child was picked for them.

At the present time Miss Thompson is trying to gain converts to the scheme at Radcliffe. She and Clark feel that Harvard and Radcliffe between them should be able to take care of more than one baby.

Son of Freda Kirchway, editor of The Nation, Clark said last night that he had not yet had time to assume any paternal feelings.