Brooks House Releases Conference Results

Talks at Conference on Careers in Government and Community Service Are Published

In order to bring to wider student attention the results of its April 12th and 13th Conference on Careers in Government and Community Service, the Phillips Brooks House Association has published a pamphlet summarizing the significant parts of the talks delivered over the two day period.

The purpose of the conference, in which representatives of twenty-two New England colleges took part, was "to present clearly and specifically to students the career opportunities in some of the lesser known fields of work, especially those devoted to what may roughly be called community service."

Highlights of the conference were talks by Nathan Strauss, administrator of the United States Housing Authority; Helen Hall, director of the Henry Street Settlement House in New York City; Commissioner Arthur S. Fleming of the United States Civil Service; John N. Edy, executive assistant of the Federal Works Agency; Dr. Morris R. Mitchell of Alabama State Teachers College; Albert Mayer, New York architect; and Maurice J. Tobin, mayor of Boston.

The chief conclusions reached were that interest in community service is, at present, quite widespread among college students, and that not enough information on the subject is being given to students by college authorities.

The pamphlet, containing much of this information that the interested student should know, was published "because of a widespread, demand from the three hundred college students attending the conference." It is available at Phillips Brooks House for twenty-five cents.