DURANT APPOINTS DIETICIAN FOLLOWING WALSH'S REPORT

Increase of Food Quality, Reduction of Cost Sought

Acting to improve the efficiency of the College Dining Halls and the quality of the food served, Aldrich Durant '02, business manager of the University, announced yesterday that he had hired Miss Ruth E. Trickett to act an the University's first dietitian.

The appointment of a dietitian was one of the many recommendations made last spring by E. J. Walsh, who had been called in by the college authorities to make an extensive investigation of the University dining hall system.

An Alumna of Simmons College with over ten years experience, Miss Trickett will report for duty about October 1. Her duties, as described by Durant in a formal statement yesterday, "will cover general supervision of menus, food preparation, testing of food stuffs, preparation of specifications for purchasing, cost analysis, etc."

Follows Council Report

Demands for the appointment of a dietician were first raised by the Student Council last spring in a report which attacked "widespread inefficiency in the preparation of food at Harvard that would never be tolerated in a restaurant that had to cover its cost without guaranteed clientele."

Dealing with the high board rates and with the quality of food, the Student Council report also urged the University to hire an outside expert to make a thorough survey of the operations of the dining halls.

To give Walsh, who was hired as an expert after the report was published an opportunity to place his recommendations into effect, the University has engaged him as consultant for the year.

Concerning Walsh's report, which was completed last June, Durant said: "Mr. Walsh made a number of suggestions regarding possible improvements in op- erating methods. These are largely in the nature of centralization and standardization and will require intensive study and experimentation over a considerable period of time."

The University expects no appreciable reduction in dining hall costs during the near future, though Durant hopes that over a long period definite economics can be brought about. Since some of Walsh's recommendations call for large capital outlays, the merits of which must be carefully studied by the University, it is doubtful whether any drastic changes will be initiated this year