Over 600 Join Faculty Preparedness Campaign; Student Defense League States Credo Tonight

Perry Makes Report On Defense Group's Summer Progress

Working to secure American preparedness, over 600 members of the Harvard community have united under Ralph Barton Perry, professor of Philosophy, to form the Harvard Group of American Defense. In a report issued yesterday Professor Perry reviewed the work the twelve committees have performed and will perform.

Participating in the movement are 400 members of the faculty, 150 employees of the University, and 65 faculty wives.

Chief accomplishments of the group to date include the finding of over 100 homes for refugee children, the establishment of a Harvard Hospital for Communicable Diseases in London, and the securing of a large number of recruits from Harvard graduates for the August 20th naval V-7 cruise of the S. S. Wyoming.

Work of Other Committees

The committee on Military Training is prepared to give information and advice on military matters to undergraduates and to organize such groups for military or technical training as are feasible.

Concerned with the healing of dissension among various groups and the solidification of public sentiment behind a preparedness program, the committee on Morale and National Unity issued a statement on American Morale formulated chiefly by Professor Max Lerner of Williams former editor of the Nation.

Radio Programs Conducted

Radio broadcasts in foreign languages and foreign newspapers are analyzed by the Committee on information. A weekly radio broadcast on the aspects of defense has been sponsored for the Radio Committee by the New England Town Meeting of the Air. On it distinguished experts have spoken and a panel of speakers has been made available for speaking throughout New England.

The Committee on Press and Writing has sponsored the publication of articles on the defense situation by members of the group in newspapers and magazines throughout the country.

Finally efforts have been made to gain the active cooperation of defense groups throughout the country by the Committee of Correspondence, smacking in name as well as purpose of the Revolutionary period.

Chief among those in the group are Paul H. Buck, associate professor of History; Mason Hammond, associate professor of History; Charles H. Taylor, associate professor of History; all vice-presidents; Richard M. Gummere, chairman, Committee on Admissions; Ada Comstock, President of Radcliffe; Samuel H. Cross, professor of Slavic Languages; James M. Landis, Dean of Harvard Law School; Arthur M. Schlesinger, professor of History Counsellors; Payson S. Wild, Jr., associate professor of Government; Donald C. McKay, associate professor of History; Delmar Leighton, Dean of Freshmen; and Crane Brinton, associate professor of History, committee chairmen