Boston Cuts Freshman Squad In Preparation For Exeter

First Two Teams Scrimmage With Third String Outfit for 40 Minutes

After a week's practice Freshman coach Clarence "Chief" Boston has finally weeded out the 47 most promising candidates for his 1944 eleven from a cumbersome squad which numbered well over a hundred on the opening day of practice.

Yesterday's cut, which left a nucleus of four full teams on the first Freshman squad, will enable Boston, and his assistants, line coach Joe Nee and end coach Bobby Green, to devote their time to the players who will probably see action against Exeter when the Freshmen journey to New Hampshire October 5.

Boston sent his charges through a 40 minute scrimmage again yesterday afternoon, rehearsing the fundamental plays which have so far been given out. His potential A and B teams alternated against the C's during most of the scrimmage. Occasionally front rank linemen replaced the third stringers for some work on the defense.

The number one eleven found little trouble, gaining almost at will and uncorking several 40-yard touchdown runs.

The first line managed to open up good holes through which Steve Gifford and other '44 backs ran with case. The blocking down field, however, was weak.

The defensive players found team B considerably easier to negotiate and limited them to short gains