ROTC Courses Nearly Double Enrollment

Twice As Many Students Take Mil Sci Training As Did Three Years Ago

Increases over last year of 331/3% in Military Science and 25% in Naval Science were announced Saturday by officials in the two departments which represent the Reserve Officers' Training Corps in the College.

230 students, almost 100 more than signed up last year, are enrolled in Military Science 1, Colonel Henry D. Jay, Professor of Military Science, revealed. This figure exceeds the total enrolment in the entire Department in 1937-38, when 204 were taking the four courses, and in 1936-37, when 227 were enrolled.

More Sailors in '38

In Naval Science 1, limited by statutory regulations, only 27 more men were allowed this fall than were last. 101 students are taking the course, but this figure is smaller than the 119 men who enrolled in 1938. Normally, however, only between 65 and 75 Freshmen have got into the training course for a commission in the Naval Reserve.

Mil Sol 2 Also Jumps

The largest increase besides Mil Sci 1 is in the second course, which jumped from 92 last year to 126 this fall. The two advanced courses remained relatively stable at 79 and 49 this year compared with 53 and 46 in 1939-40.

In Naval Science, on the other hand, the second year course dropped in size from 73 to 69 while the third year jumped from 39 all the way to 62. The 33 men in Naval Sci 4 represent an increment of only 4 from last year. 265 men, 50 more than last year, are in the Department.