Defense Group Wires Support to Roosevelt

Telegram Endorses Recent Speeches And Full Assistance For Britain

Endorsement of President Roosevelt's recent speeches to Congress was expressed in the telegram that American Defense, Harvard Group, sent to the President yesterday. Signed by secretary Philip Hofer, lecturer on Fine Arts, the message restated the group's position for "full aid to the fighting democracies."

"Wherever men today fight and die to resist tyranny and aggression they man outposts of our freedom, making more difficult, more distant the threat to our shores," stated the telegram. "To permit them to fail for the want of weapons that we can supply or for the lack of resources that we can furnish, would be not only to disregard our own national interests but also to turn our backs on the support and encouragement of those freedoms that have been . . .the foundation of our republic."

In view of "immediate action being imperative," the group's entire membership was not canvassed for support or signatures. The telegram, however, is one of agreement and makes no new declaration of policy.