FAVORED MERMEN SEEK REVENGE FOR '39 DEFEAT BY BROWN IN TONIGHT'S MEET

Bears Promise to Be a Stiff Test But Ulenmen Have Upper Hand

By Donald Peddle

Harvard's varsity mermen are strongly favored to continue their winning ways in the Indoor Athletic Building pool this evening at 8:45 o'clock at the expense of the Brown Bears. Coach Leo Barry's squad should afford the Ulenmen their stiffest test of the year, but nevertheless the visitors are below par this season and have little hope of repeating their 38 to 37 upset victory of two years ago.

Co-captains Bob Schaper, George Gibbons, and Sophomore Sherb Carter stand out on the invading squad like a light-house in a storm, Schaper, who finished third in last year's Intercollegiate 100, will be favored in both the 100 and 50. His partner, Carter, is almost as good and might conceivably get a pair of seconds in the sprints. Lonnie Stowell and Captain Frannie Powers will give him plenty of opposition in both of these races, however, Powers even has a chance to upset Schaper in the century.

Gibbons is Good

Gibbons is an outstanding breastroker and a good free-styler. He will probably be used in the 220 and 440, meeting Powers and Bus Curwen. Powers should not have too much trouble with him in the 220, but Curwen will have his hands full in the quarter. The star Sophomore distance man has been bothered with a bad cold for more than a week and is not in top shape for the meet.

The undefeated Crimson Freshmen will meet an unusually strong Bruin Cub outfit in a 7:30 o'clock curtain raiser.