COUNCIL ASKS FOR PAYMENT OF PLEDGES

Cites Need of War Fund With Goal of 7 Million

Because the Student Council feels that Harvard's contributions to charities should be increased in view of the war, Treasurer John Bunker has urged that all students who have not yet paid their pledges for the fund drive should do so as soon as posible.

In a statement made last night, Bunker pointed out that the Boston Community Fund has been incorporated with the Red Cross and U.S.O. drives into a United War Fund, with a goal of over $7,000,000. Since the Community Fund has always been one of the major recipients of Council charity donations, Bunker is anxious to give it a considerably greater amount than was given last year.

Bills have been sent out to the 700 undergraduates have pledged money to the Council but have not as yet paid. Amounting to about $2000, these pledges would swell the total Council funds for this year to about $9400.

In addition to charity expenses, the Council also needs more money for its term-bill scholarships. A total of $571, or about 90% of the requests for financial aid, was distributed in November, but the Council does not envisage such extensive satisfaction of the needs of the January term-bill, which is always considerably larger. Bunker expects requests of nearly $1500 to be made during the interviews which he will hold for the next few weeks at Phillips Brooks House.