Funsters Upset Littlemen 6 to 0 Dudley Hands Eliot 13 to 0 Loss

ADAMS LACKS PEP OF DUNSTER TEAM

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

A fighting Dunster eleven subdued the favored Adams House aggregation 6-0 yesterday while a bone-crushing Dudley squad was feeding Eliot a 13-0 defeat on a neighboring gridiron.

The Funsters pulled the upset of the House season when they overpowered the Gold Coasters, who displayed carelessness and lack of spirit. Although at times last year's champions showed flashes of 1940 form, they were thrown back by an inspired defense.

Twice within five minutes, as the result of Funster fumbles, the favorites found themselves within three or four yards of pay dirt, but failed to make the grade each time.

Cummings Stars

Next door, a Dudley team who should have been handicapped by only three days of coaching, and one of scrimmage, definitely were not, as Len Cummings, last year's star Freshman end, grabbed two passes, one to score, and another carrying to the two yard line. He established himself as the best flankman in the League. On the defense, he was a powerhouse, playing in the Eliot backfield most of the time.

First Dudley score was the result of Paul Quinn's interception of an Eliot pass on about the midfield stripe. He then heaved a 20 yard beauty to Cummings, who went over for the score. The try for point was blocked.

Second tally came late in the fourth quarter, when Danny Gorenstein tossed the pigskin to the ever-present Cummings who went to the two. Gorenstein piled through center on two plays to push the total to 12, and to cap the climax, Cummings snatched a three-yard for the conversion.

Other standouts for the Ramblers were Dick Loomis, last year's all-House center, whose kicking and passing was flawless, Paul Quinn, who intercepted two Eliot passes; and Mel Helpern, former all-House back, who powered his way through the Elephant line on more than one occasion.

For Eliot, flowing George Waters did most of the ball-carrying, but he could hardly get started before he was piled on by yellow-shirted Ramblers. Although the Eliot line looked good on the offense, and was opening holes through the Dudley forward wall, the secondary came up fast and smeared the pounding Elephants after only a few yards' gain.

Littlemen's Fumble Fatal

The Dunster score came following an Adams' fumble on their own 35-yard line midway in the second period. A pass to Bill McGinnis carried for 13 yards, and Don Cole sliced his way through tackle for another 10 yards.

Lanky Nat Young, who got off some beautiful punts, incidentally, and effectively sparked the Funster backfield all the way through, pounded his way to the goal line on an off-tackle shot which started as a strong side smash and shalked up the winning margin for Dunster. The conversion was missed.

Adams Still Potent

Although the game featured many penalties and faculty ball-handling by both squads, the superior zip of the Dunster eleven tipped the scales. The Gold Coasters definitely had an off-day, but with the return of Phil Neagle, and some more practice, they may be able to keep the drives going that were stopped this afternoon, but that should produce touchdowns later in the season. Kieran Culliton should go to town as the season wears on with his passes to the ends and Bob Hurley. So don't count Adams out on the basis of the weak showing today. It will take a lot to beat them when they get going.