65 TO SCRAMBLE FOR CROSS COUNTRY HONORS SATURDAY

Date For Annual Handicap Race Changed From Friday

Only two days remain for Coach Jaakko Mikkola's harriers to get into shape for the annual University handicap cross country meet scheduled to start at 3:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon near the Newell Boat House.

The race was originally planned for tomorrow in order to interfere as little as possible with the numerous athletic contests that crowd Soldiers Field and its vicinity. But since the football team will be playing at Philadelphia, the date has been officially moved up one day.

Since the beginning of College, approximately 65 men have been working out under the critical eyes of Coach Mikkola. Although these runners have been training for the event and are on the official entry list, it is possible for any man in College to try his luck in the race Saturday if he so desires.

Bob Jay to Run

Although he was counted out at the first of the season because of an extra heavy set of courses, Bon Jay, last year's number two man on the Varsity, will participate in the race Saturday and probably during the rest of the fall season.

Many of last year's Varsity runners are not in top shape as yet because of a greater than average toll of sickness and injuries. Most notable among them have been the illnesses of Bob Houghton and Joe Scott, who are not yet up to par.

Ed Cook, a promising Junior runner, who had a good competitive record in meets last year, may run in the handicap meet but will be kept out of intercollegiate contests this year because of scholastic probation. Missing from Saturday's race because of graduation will be number one man, Langdon Burwell and Bob McLaughlin.