SPORTS of the CRIMSON

By John C. Bullard

Just because the Middles are not scheduled to come to Cambridge this Saturday, don't think there isn't going to be any marching. According to Jayvee coach Henry Lamar, who has scouted the Navy for the last three weeks, the sailors substitute by teams, and that should provide maneuvers enough for the crowd expected by H.A.A. officials to jam the Stadium Saturday.

Coach Swede Larson's 1941 effort is all that any defense conscious citizen could wish, and according to reports emanating from Annapolis, it is labeled the "two-ocean Navy." Lamar summed it up by saying, "I understand that their fifth team is not quite what it should be" when asked what weak points he had noticed in the Middles' opening games.

In its four games so far the Blue and Gold has piled up 129 points to the opposition's two, and, as a reflection will indicate, even those lone markers were scored by the future admirals. Last week Cornell went down before Navy's guns 14 to 0.

All this should provide a steadying thought to the giddy multitude who have rushed for the Harvard bandwagon since the Crimson celebrated Dick Harlow's birthday a day ahead of time by dashing the hopes of Dartmouth. The Indians, according to reports emenating from Hanover, were just getting in the proper frame of mind to receive a Bowl bid.

What Lamar and Frank Swirles said about Navy made Hitler, Superman, and Punjab sound like timid Plebes. Henry began to apologize after the second man's description for using the same words over again, but apparently there are only a limited number of descriptive terms like "terrific" while the Navy has an unlimited number of men worthy of praise.

It is a well known fact that Harlow will do anything short of losing a game the preceding Saturday to make his eleven the underdog for the next contest on the schedule, and certainly the fact that Loren MacKinney will not play Saturday won't make it harder for the Crimson's venerable oologist to attain his goal.

Harlow stated that except for McKinney's absence the first team would line up on Saturday as against Dartmouth. Bill Wilson, the Sophomore tailback who handled his first starting assignment so creditably against the Indians, thus receives a pat on the back, and it means that, with Franny Lee in his old position at right half, or wing back, Harlow's worries about wingbacks are at an end.

Concerning the forthcoming trouble with Navy, Frank Swirles, who spends his afternoons at Wes Fesler's old job of impersonating the backfield star of the forthcoming opposition, succinctly summed up the Navy's backfield, that is its number one outfit, as terrific.

At tailback is Bill Busik, 185 pounds of treacherous triple threatery, and a potential All-American. The rest of the backfield runs like the wind and blocks like a landslide, according to Swirles, and anyone who saw the Middles' blocking back, Johnny Harrell, flatten Vern Miller in under three minutes last winter will not doubt that there is power to spare there. Harrell lays claim to the intercollegiate Heavyweight wrestling title as a mater of fact.

Similarly the line presents a problem which should try Harlow's ingenuity to the utmost. In Gene Flathmann and Bill Chewning Navy has two of the finest tackles in the East. In one game Lamar said that Chewning intercepted a pass and outdistanced his blocking protection to the opposition's goal line, and there are not many tackles who can run that fast, especially when their teammates run the way the future Admirals apparently do.

All in all, according to Harlow's scouts the Navy not only has the power to grind its opponents to bits, but also finesse to run them dizzy. Listen to Lamar's description of the Navy's favorite play: "Everyone lines up and the center snaps, the ball back. Then there is a sort of milling around in the backfield, and the first time you see Busik he is sidestepping the safety man."