JACKSON HEAD OF COMMITTEE ON TENURE

Eight Books to Be Added to Council's War Libraries

Gabriel Jackson '42, of Leverett House and Mount Vernon, New York, has been elected Senior Chairman of the Student Council's Committee on Tenure and Curriculum, it was announced last night. He will share the leadership with Adolbert Ames 3rd '43, who was earlier appointed Junior Chairman of the committee.

Established last year with the general aim of "cooperating with the Faculty and Administration for the improvement of Harvard education," the committee is designed to replace various protest groups which spring up periodically when undergraduates feel that some action of the University, such as the dismissal of a favorite lecturer, is harmful to educational standards.

New Books for War Libraries

After the choosing of several Seniors and a full staff of Junior members, Jackson and Ames hope to start work at once investigating concentration fields and their functioning under a reduced budget, making recommendations as to methods of instruction and the worth of specific courses, giving the Administration the student view of the teaching ability of teachers as opposed to their writing ability and propensity for scholarly research.

Also announced by Harrison T. Blaine '42 of the Student Council were several additions to the Council war libraries which were placed in House libraries last spring. The new books are: "Problem of Modern Europe," by J. H. Jackson and Kerr Lee; "We Have A Future," by Norman Thomas; "Berlin Diary," by William L. Shirer; "You Can't Do Business With Hitler," by Douglas Miller; "Good Neighbors," by Herbert Herring; "My New Order," by Adolph Hitler and Raoul de Roussy de Sales; "Volcanic Isle," by Wilfred Fleischer; "Pattern of Conquest," by Joseph C. Harsh.

Blaine added that libraries will eventually be placed in the Commuters' Center at Dudley Hall and the Adams House library.