Library Plans in Case of Bombing Call For Removal of Rare Books, Manuscripts

Whole Process Has Been Developed by Staff Since The Collapse of France Last Year

Probably one of the most efficiently organized plans for action in case of a bombing of Harvard is the one which has been worked out during the past year and a half by the staff of the University Library for the removal of rare and valuable books from Widener and adjoining buildings.

Directly after the invasion of France last June Keyes DeW. Metcalf, head of Harvard's libraries, began looking for a spot which would be isolated and inconspicuous enough for the storing of the greater part of Harvard's precious treasure volumes. However, it was a "complicated business," according to the chief librarian, and many problems presented themselves before complete plans could be drawn up.

"For one thing," said Metcalf, "how are we to know when to start evacuating the books? Transportation under war conditions involves a great deal of risk. Our Shakespeare quartos, for instance, are worth $100,000, and we have extremely valuable collections of historical and literary manuscripts which are irreplaceable."

The whereabouts of the library cache were not revealed, however. The hideaway depicted as amply large for the books which are to be transported there in case of emergency. He pointed out that in the chaos existing during a bombing or an invasion, it would be easy for looters to make away with many of the priceless treasures if everybody knew where they were located.

"We know what has happened to many of the art pieces in occupied Europe," he continued, "and although I want to emphasize that possibilities of invasion or even bombing are very remote, we have kept the hiding place secret in order to eliminate the danger of a duplication of that as much as possible."

Another problem which Metcalf has met with the assistance of the maintenance department, is that of packing and transporting the books from Widener, the Law School, and other University libraries. "They can't just be dumped into trucks and carted off; they have to be wrapped in newspapers and stored in boxes."

Enough lumber to make thousands of such boxes, which can also be used for other needs if the emergency blows over, has been set aside and will not be touched until the time comes. Library authorities have estimated that 120 can be made and packed in a day.

Metcalf stated that it would take only 24 hours to move out the most valuable parts of the collection. "Of course, where we have some four and a half million volumes, we can't ship them all. Only the treasures will go."