Civilizing the Soap-Box

Harvard's multifarious political pressure groups make so much noise that it's difficult to realize that their total membership numbers a scant ten per cent of the undergraduate body. This very vocal group has ample opportunity to air its views on current affairs, and also to hear speakers and to discuss its own stands. But the other 90 percent are forced to remain in the outer darkness, ignorant even of the blessings they are denied.

A non-partisan political forum, similar to the ones in existence in other colleges all over the country, could shed light on this darkness, and provide a political bill of fare for the socially unconscious majority, to rival the literary and artistic offerings of which Harvard is justly proud. It could draw big-name speakers to Harvard that small groups cannot hope to attract. It could organize thorough and frequent discussions on current affairs, which would not suffer from any partisan aims. It could prepare reading lists which might be used independently or in connection with tutorial work. Such a forum could profit from the experience of the American Civilization Program which was recently attempted in the Houses. If even a few students in each House could be interested in the extra-curricular study of American History, surely a large number would be enticed to a discussion of events going on in the world today.

The Student Council Forum Committee is comparing notes with other colleges, and consulting individuals and organizations here at Harvard. These precautions should ensure considered action. They should not be allowed to delay action too long.