HARRIERS SET FOR H-Y-P RUN

Mikkolamen Underdogs in Annual Triangular Affair

By A. EDWARD Rowse

Although Coach Jaakko Mikkola's Varsity cross country team managed to best Yale and come in second in last year's triangular meet here at Cambridge, it will be a very definite underdog as it leaves for Tigertown tomorrow afternoon for the 1941 affair.

If Harvard is able to nip even Princeton in Friday's race, it will be not only a sensational win but one of the biggest upsets of the season. Princeton has practically the same team this year that beat the Crimson 26 to 29 last fall. The only man missing is Dave Little, son of the Master of Adams House, who is now a graduate student.

Reinforced by the presence of two excellent Sophomore runners, this year's Yale team appears to be headed for a record season, barring upsets. Roy Swartzkopf, Bill Castle, the Sophomores, and Captain Bill Bird have finished one, two, three in practically every meet thus far.

Crimson Can Tie Blue

They will probably find it not too hard to repeat this performance against a mediocre Crimson team, which lost to Dartmouth last week. But according to dopesters, Harvard cannot be counted out entirely. Providing that Yale takes the first three places, Coach Mikkola's more evenly balanced team will have to take fourth to tenth places to squeeze out a 30 to 30 tie.

Graduation crippled this year's cross country squad, with the top two men, Langdon Burwell and Bob McLaughlin, who placed second and fourth in last year's triangular meet, missing from the present lineup. Kay Rogers, this year's captain, who placed tenth last year, is the best Crimsonite to return. Even he cannot be counted upon too heavily because he turned his ankle last week.

The other Crimson runners to finish in the first twenty although not in the scoring last year were Joe Scott, EdCook, Bob Burns, and Bob Jay. Adding to Mikkola's worries: Cook is not eligible this season, Burns graduated, and Scott has been troubled by a recent illness.

There are several promising Sophomores, however, to make the picture look a little brighter. Most notable of these men are former Freshman captain Bill Palson and Tim Coggeshall, son of a former Crimson track star.

In the Freshman division of the Big Three colleges, Princeton seems to have the edge. Little is known about this year's Yale team, although it can hardly hope to approach the record of last year's aggregation. Comparative strength will be more apparent after Friday's tussle.