Two Games to Start House Grid Season on Wednesday

Kirkland Faces Leverett; Winthrop, Lowell Clash

House football will undergo its first test of the season this week when all eight teams swing into action in four scheduled games Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.

With the largest squad now practicing on the field, enough for three full teams, Kirkland House rules a slight favorite next Wednesday ever a Leverett team with a pretty fair backfield but a yet untested line. The Deacons are fielding a team boasting a 180-pound line but their hands will be full trying to hold the Bunnies' backfield.

In the second game of the afternoon a small-sized Winthrop eleven has the call over a fair-to-middling Bell Boy outfit. Comparatively green in experience, the Puritans are counting on their triple-threat back, Stan Durwood, to stack up the yardage against to Lowell defense.

Last year's champions, Adams House, seem due to make it two straight this year with a line averaging 185 and a whole bevy of speedy backs. Star guard and captain Phil Neagle, however, is out with a wrenched knee and will probably not see action until midway in the season. But his loss should make little difference against Dunster next Thursday since the Funsters have an inexperienced line although their backfield may make up for the deficit.

Dudley seems to be the most improved team in the league and should have little trouble in knocking off the Elephants on Thursday. With 10 of last year's regulars back in the fold, the Ramblers are further strengthened by the addition of a few mighty-capable Sophs and by Dick Loomis, last fall's all-House center, who transferred from Winthrop. Eliot remains an unknown power, but it is doubtful if the Elephants can master enough push to topple the Ramblers, even though they boast of a "mystery" back.

As in the past, the House champion will play the House winner from Yale during the Eli weekend November 22. Last year a strong Timothy Dwight eleven trounced the Gold Coasters by a score of 13 to 0 at New Haven. This year's contest, however, will be played on home grounds.