NICHOLL TOPS TENNIS FIELD

Takes Two Matches in University Tournament

After a week of racket swinging, the only man out of approximately 100 entrants in the University tennis tournament to advance as far as the round of sixteen is Will Nicholl, dark-horse Junior netman who did not even play tennis last year.

Nichol, number three man on his Freshman team, has scored straight set victories over Fried and Weeks to lead the field.

Top-seeded Al Evarts, who is defending the title he won last year as a Freshman, has yet to play a match, having received a bye in the first round.

The rest of the four seeded players have recored straight set triumphs in early round matches. Seeded behind Evarts is Bob Freedman, a star on last year's powerful Yale team, while following him in the third-seeded spot comes diminutive Jim Jenkins top man on last year's Crimson aggregation.

This year's captain, Orme Wilson, is seeded fourth. None of these favored have faced any real competition as yet, but may well expect some by tomorrow when the whole tournament is scheduled to reach the round of sixteen.

In the Freshman affair, which also drew close to 100 aspirants, five men have already reached the round of sixteen. They are Brosius, Eaton, Greenspan, Hafner, and Levin.