Red Book Committee Will Pick '45 Editors This Week

Thomas Matters '43 Interviews Prospects

Elimination of candidates for the chairmanship of the Freshman Red Book gets under way today when Thomas Matters '43, the Student Council's recently appointed representative for Freshman affairs, begins interviewing a list of likely prospects submitted by the Dean's Office.

Matters has replaced Eugene D. Keith '42 as the Yardlings' upperclass representative, and Douglas Mercer '40 has taken the place of Casper W. Weinberger '39, who has graduated from Law School, as secretary of the Union.

Red Book Candidates Meet

Freshmen with more enthusiasm than experience will have a chance to voice their claims to high posts on the Red Book during a meeting scheduled for tomorrow night at 7:15 o'clock in the Upper Common Room of the Union. Candidates for Business Manager and the Editorship are urged to attend.

Final authorities in the selection of officers are Matters, Mercer, Keith, and George A. Saxton '44, former Union Committee Chairman. Matters will announce the successful candidates before the end of the week.

The machinery for choosing the Union Committee will swing into action later this month, so that the selection can be revealed by November 1 or thereabouts. Every hall in the Yard will have its representative, chosen by Doug Mercer from a list submitted by the various proctors. The Union secretary will attempt to make the Committee a representative cross-section of all groups in the heterogeneous Yardling class.

Organization of numerous other Freshman groups will begin as soon as the results of a poll recently taken on what members of '45 are interested in are compiled