COACH MIKKOLA'S RUNNERS BOW TO DARTMOUTH, CORNELL TEAMS

Crimson Third as Palson Covers 5 Miles in 28:0

Dartmouth's great cross country team again proved too much for the Crimson last Saturday at the Heptagonals in New York, but Coach Mikkola's runners left six teams in the lurch as they placed third, only two points behind, second place Cornell.

The Big Green plodders accounted for the first three places out of a total of 59, compiling a team total of only 39 as compared to 61 for Cornell and 63 for the Crimson.

But the Harvard harriers ran one of their better races of the season as they once more proved they were better than Yale or Princeton, whom they upset last week in the Triangles.

Trailing Harvard in order came Army, Navy, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, and Pennsylvania.

The first Crimson runner to place was Bill Palson, who covered the five mile trail at Van Cortlandt Park in 28 minutes, 36 seconds for seventh place. Bob Jay, the next man to finish for Coach Mikkola, came in eleventh, while Tim Coggeshall and Fred Phinney ended up thirteenth and fourteenth.

Bob Houghton, who finished eighteenth, was the last Crimson man to count in the team scoring, but John Hopks, who placed twenty-third, and Tom McElligott, fortieth, kept the other teams from placing any higher in the scoring.