Landis Prophesies Downfall of Nazis

Civilian Defense Program Discussed In Interview

Russia and England will destroy the Nazi war machine without the help of an American expeditionary force, and this downfall will come soon. Such is the opinion of James M. Landis, Dean of the Harvard Law School, expressed yesterday afternoon in a radio interview on the Boston Herald-Traveler Forum.

Landis declared that the extension of Germany's lines of communication into the Caucasus and Asia Minor will lead to her ultimate collapse, as soon as English-Russian pressure is brought to bear at that point. He was emphatic in his belief that American material aid in planes and armaments will prove to be a decisive factor in this struggle, when it occurs.

Landis pointed out that the strategic military importance of New England makes the question of local civilian defense a vital one. Arsenals at Water-town and Springfield, and important manufacturing centres elsewhere in this area would make the northeastern states an inviting target for enemy attacks. As a result, it is to the best interest of the nation that every preparation be made for an all-out civilian defense effort, which will require cooperation from every segment of the population.

Landis attacked what he called "Maginot Line thinking," asserting that a continual defensive attitude constitutes a danger to our democratic concepts. "Defense' is a bag word; I prefer to use 'offense'," he stated. An aggressive attitude toward the enemies of democracy, and an aggressive policy of defense, which "then becomes "offense'," is the surest way to defeat Axis aggression, Landis concluded.