No Local Talent

Burdened with one of the highest tax rates in the United States, with a record of scandal, mismanagement, and inefficiency bad enough to lead her to the verge of bankruptcy, Cambridge is entering an era which will either bring about Political salvation or see her in the hands of a State finance commission.

For although Plan E has proved successful in some sections of the country, it will not work anywhere without the proper elements. Of the nine-man legislative City Council just elected, four incumbents were endorsed by the Plan E group, three represent the Democratic Ward and City Committee, and two are known to be stooges of indicted ex-Mayor Lyons. The five non-Plan E councillors have all stated publicly their intention to hire a local man for the position of City Manager.

This move, the infant Council's first official step, is also its most important, and it would be destructive to the whole principle of Plan E to pick a manager from within Cambridge's city limits. What is needed is an experienced administrator, preferably lured away from some other city, who could remain completely detached from the shenanigans at City Hall. A really good man, wisely chosen, would do a lot towards restoring the shattered confidence in Cambridge government. With a local politico as "professional" manager, (even James M. Curley's name has been seriously mentioned for the job), Cambridge would have two strikes at the very ouset and one more might lead to a receivership.