CASNER SUGGESTS AMBULANCE SERVICE DRAFT ALTERNATIVE

Men May Join Near Near Eastern Field Service for One Year

Draft-conscious students who may wish to avoid service in the army camps or anyone past the age of 18 anxious to see immediate action will welcome law Professor A. James Casner's latest alternative to draft duty-the American Field Service.

Consisting of the American ambulance forces operating in the Near East, the Field Service is not a new face in the war picture, but has been in action ever since the battle of France a year ago last spring.

Two attractive features of the Field Service, are the suspension of draft numbers while the ambulance driver is still in service, and the relaxed physical requirements, which are a great deal more lenient than those of either the army or the navy.

One Year Required

Should a man sign up for his required one year of duty in the Near East, and then find the work not to his liking, he will be able to return to the United States, though he will then be just as draftable as he is now.

For the student eager to see his share of the was now and get it over with, the Field Service is appealing. Not only does the age limit of 18 let in anyone under 21 who can obtain his parents' consent, but he need only be in good health.

This term "in good health" is liberally interpreted, the only prerequisite being that he must be able to drive a car well, and stand up under the rigors of a desert campaign. According to Professor Casner, and the service's downtown office, there is one man in the ambulance corps who has lost the sight of one eye, and many others who are physically handicapped in one way or another.

Other Demands on Volunteers

There are, however, several other requirements which prospects for service must meet. They must have 12 passport pictures, $200 to pay for their uniform, etc., and be able to provide their own pocket money.

Already one unit has left for the Near East, and others will sail for Cairo in the first week of December. There is no immediate need for money or equipment, and the current worry of the American Field Service is obtaining an additional thousand men to use what is already available. Training will take place on board the transport.