BROOKS HOUSE TO HOLD LATIN DANCE FRIDAY

Balinese Room to Be Scene Of South American Benefit

Coffee beans and rhumba orchestras, Spanish names and South American songstresses form the of the Pan-American Ball, to be held this Friday evening at the Hotel Somerset.

Sponsored by Phillips Brooks House, the dance has two objectives: first, to acquaint Boston and Harvard with South American manners, mores, and inhabitants; and second, to raise money for the benefit of the University International Club and to start a scholarship fund for Latin-American students.

Publicity Stunt

Coffee beans have been used all through the weekend as a means of lotting the University know that the Ball existed. Some five hundred envelopes, each containing two or three beans and a slip of paper with a telephone number were dropped at strategic spots such as the Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

When any curious passerby picked up the cache and called the number, he was greeted by one of three Eliot House roommates who spent a busy weekend explaining the significance of coffee in relation to the coming Friday night.

Harry Marchard Will Play

The rhumba orchestra in question is that of Harry Marchard, with Don Rio as the maestro of the Latin-American section. Aiding in the occasion will be Yolagalli, a chanteuse of S. A. ditties imported from the Rainbow Room; Alfredo Seville, from Manhattan's La Conga; Nabor Carillo '42, a Mexican Baritone; and Jose and Argentina, Don Rio's dance team.

Tickets can be secured at Phillips Brooks House, at House janitors' offices, or at the Crimson office.

Publicity Stunt

Harry Marchard Will Play