Crimson Meets Brown Five In First Real Test Tonight

Starters Unchanged For Providence Tilt

By A. EDWARD Rowse

Coach Earl Brown's Varsity hoopstors will meet their first real opposition of the season when they square-off against the Brown Bear tonight at Providence.

Because of its five returning lettermen who took part in last year's Crimson victory, Harvard appears to be the slight favorite in tonight's tussle, but Coach Brown, who has coached every man except two on the Bruin squad, says that the game will be a toss-up.

Although the Bruins lost four of their five first stringers through graduation, they have an excellent crop of Juniors and Sophomores to fill the ranks. Coach Brown says that Harvard's 47 to 34 victory last year cannot be considered too seriously since the Providence team hit a low point in that game and played much better the rest of the year.

The Crimson lineup will be the same as that which faced Tech, with the two Sophomore stars Don Lutze and Chick Lutz starting at center and forward. The other three starters, who all started against the Bruins last year, are Joe Romano, at forward, and Captain Bud Finegan and Ed Buckley at guard. George Burditt may start at center in place of Don Lutze, according to Coach Brown.

Facing the Crimson and coached by Tippy Dye will be two very highly rated Sophomore forwards, Roy Swingler, of football fame, and Jack Wood, with Captain Ward Sheffe at center. The guards will be Sophomore Jim Thompson and Junior George Delaney.

The Varsity game should be a killer-diller since it will be a clash of two very similar systems of offense and defense, Although little is known of this year's Bruin team, spectators can expect a fast-breaking offensive show with the accent on scoring. The winner may thus very well be the first team to get under the basket and take the most number of shots.

In spite of the record-breaking total of 61 points against a fair M. I. T. team last Friday, Coach Brown is far from satisfied with the Crimson offense. It really did not have a chance to work against the Engineers, because the set shots were all going in so consistently. He has hopes of a decided improvement tonight.