Lining Them Up

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

The Crimson has just received a last minute dispatch from Joliet Penitentiary, Illinois, that exclusive institution of higher education that my justly b e said to have more stringent admission requirements than Harvard College. Of course this fact is in some measure obviated by the equally obvious truth that the tests of entrance are to a greater degree manual than intellectual, and true brilliance of mind is at time a hindrance to entry within the sacred precincts and (or) an aid to departure therefrom.

What Sportsmen!

Returning to the Joliet news item, one justly say that it is one pregnant with interest for every on of the ten thousand sons of Harvard who seek, if not victory, at least stellar competition. Forestalling any possible controversy of the nature that disturbed supporters of Army and Navy football not many years since, the wise and sapient authorities of the J. A. A.have voluntarily adopted the three year eligibility rule for their football players.

Cheer, Cheer For Old Joliet!

now this move, like all revolutionary changes, like the New Deal, like Friday night baths, is bound to receive much praise and an approximately equal amount of Irish confetti or as our English cousins call it "brickbats". There will be those who will oppose it one the grounds the veterans should not be discriminated against nor should their declining years be thus robbed of innocent amusement, and there are those who will say that youth should be served, and that every, thug should have his day; there will be alumni who will cry out saying that it weakens the team, but it is safe to say that the opposing coaches will have no quarrel with the suggested move. Time and the reaction of the inmates as measured by the frequency of attempt at leaving the team in the lurch by departing the place can only tell the ultimate fate of the move.

Revised Schedule Expected

What is of concern to us who inhabit the secluded sports of Cambridge is the fact that all possible objection of scheduling a game with the Joliet Zobras has now been removed. The millennium has arrived and the code of fair competition has now been instituted; when will a home and home agreement be arranged? It is possible that after the game members of the visiting teams might become confused and forget to leave, but exchange scholars are smiled upon in all universities. A little leavening with the loaf is not a bad idea, and a touch of Middle Western initiative and drive transferred to the soporific Cambridge atmosphere would be eminently helpful, while the Harvard enunciation and pronunciation would of course be splendid in dear old Joliet.

On to Victory

The facts remain--they cannot be obscured. The H.A.A. must rise to the occasion, and the day is not far off when cordial relations will be resumed between Harvard and our big western sister institution. By TIME OUT.