Injuries Strike Blow To Varsity Wrestlers

Battle With Engineers Will Find Crimson Handicapped

Injuries to five keystones in the structure of Chief Boston's Varsity wrestling team places the Crimson far down on the long end of the odds when it travels to M.I.T. this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock to open the 1941-42 season.

Whatever pessimism Coach Boston may have had before the try-outs early this week have been multiplied by additional injuries to Lee Sosman, Don Miles, and George George since then. Before this week, Jim Redmon and Dick Aldrich were already benched with serious bumps and bruises.

Veteran Trio Cut Down

Redmon, Harry Blaine, and Captain Dick Thomas were the only returning letter men of last year, and now Boston will have even that veteran trio deeply cut. Aldrich and Sosman are both contenders for the 175-pound position while Miles and George both are 155 pound possibilities. This doubling-up of injuries in the same classifications has weakened the prospect of victory this afternoon. Moreover, Vern Miller has not completed his post-football relaxing and has yet to report.

Added to this, Tech is said to have its strongest squad in the past several years with four of last year's freshman team, which downed the 1944 Yardlings 28-5, slated to oppose the Crimson Varsity today.

The lightest Harvard starters today are both Sophomores. Jim Reidy will meet Tech's Bob Gillooly in the 121 pound class; while 128 pounder Ed Guild faces Bill Clark. In the 136 class, Senior Harry Blaine tackles Dick Grant of Tech; and Sophomore Ken Heyman faces Captain Bob Fottes in the 145 pound scrap.

Harvard's Captain Dick Thomas will grapple in the 155 pound group, Harold Tine in the 165, and Bill Turner the 175. Tom Rogstad will carry the Crimson unlimited heavyweight burden.