TRACK TEAMS MEET JUMBOS HERE TODAY

Informal Contest is First One of Season For Crimson

Both Varsity and Freshman track teams will get their first taste of competition against outside opposition in Briggs Cage this afternoon when they meet Tufts in an informal meet in which times will be taken but not released or counted for scores.

The Varsity will be deprived of the services of several star performers including Captain Bob Houghton, top sprinter Doug Pirnie, next year's cross-country Captain Fred Phinney, half-miler Rollo Campbell, and weight man Dick Pflster.

Events scheduled for the meet for both Varsity and Freshmen include the hurdles, 35 yard dash, 1000, and relay; and in the field department the high jump, shot put, 35 pound weight, broad jump, and pole vault. Only the Varsity will compete in the three-quarter mile, 440, and one and one-quarter mile; while the 300 and 600 will be only open to Freshmen.

Palson Mile and a Quarter Entrant

Bill Palson, last year's Yardling captain, is the outstanding Crimson entrant in the mile and a quarter; and hurdler Don MacKinnon, who took a second in the high hurdles at the Heptagonal last year, 440 man Frank McKechnie, who didn't run last year but was the leading quarter-miler on his Freshman team, and sprinter Bill Trainor, seemed to be the best Harvard entrants in their respective divisions in the track events.

Shot putter Johnny Shattuck, high jumper Johnny Bunker, and pole valuators Mike Ford, who tied for first in last year's Yale meet, Steve Brooks, and Jerry Lenane, Yardling star last year, will lead the Varsity into the field events.