Dean's Statement--

"The Administrative Board has voted that all upperclassmen on probation Office on the day of their last class meet shall be required to register at the Dean's ing before the Christmas recess and on the first day after the recess. Such students are also required to attend their last and first classes before and after the Christmas recess. A special letter has been sent to each man on probation regarding this requirement.

Abuse Will Lead to Abandonment of Plan

"An especial appeal is made to undergraduates in Harvard College not to abuse the present system, which is still in the experimental stage. The information which is available indicates that while there seems to have been no serious general abuse of the system during the last few years, there is considerable uncertainty and uneasiness as to the workings of the plan and there is evidence that some students have misused their freedom regarding attendance. If abuse continues, the only recourse be to establish some plan of registration for all students not entitled to the privileges of the Dean's List of return to the old method of taking attendance regularly during term time and the enforcement of rules which are irksome to the majority because of the carelessness and thoughtlessness of the few. In other words, the liberal policy regarding class attendance for Juniors and Seniors both during term time and at the holiday periods is at stake."