Indian Skaters Hand Crimson Six First Defeat, 4 to 3; Hutter Leads Alumni to Victory Over Varsity Mermen

Wins 50, 100 yard Events As Grads Triumph 34 to 32

By Burton VAN Vort

A seven-year winning streak against the Alumni was broken Saturday night when Charlie Hutter, scoring almost a third of his team's points, led the alumni to a 34 to 32 victory over Hal Ulen's Varsity tankmen.

It was Hutter, Hutter, Hutter all the way, as the greatest of Harvard swimmers, now nearly three years out of intercollegiate competition, took first place in the 50 and 100 yard free style for a total of 10 points and swam the 50 in 24.0 seconds, a great time in any meet.

Not as many turned out few the Alumni as were expected, so they were forced to use every stratagem in order to take the meet, and the first trick employed was to throw the Medley Relay.

But the next four events spelled doom for the Ulenmen. Franny Powers, in an extremely close race, beat out Bus Curwen and Tiny Gorman to take first place in the 220 yard free style. Hutter and Don Barker then took first and second, respectively, in the 50, while Rusty Greenhood and George Dana went ahead to take first and second in the dive. The bad news was completed when Hutter took his second first place, this time in the 100 yard free style.

Bill Drucker took the back stroke for the Crimson, and the score now read 28 to 22 in favor of the Alumni. Greg Jameson and Phil Walker then put the meet on ice when they took first and third in the breast stroke to give the Alumni the necessary 34 points.

Despite the defeat, Hal Ulen, as he sat talking to Freshman Coach Frank Vaughan after the meet need not have looked so glum, for his team has some truly great prospects. Once again Bill Drucker and Bus Curwen showed promise in their races, while in addition to this due, Ulen has a swimmer by the name of John Eusden whose performance Saturday. if it is any indication whatever, ought to put fear in the minds of every Ivy League swimming coach. For "Big John," after coming in fourth in the 50, made a comeback to finish second in the 100, and, in fact, almost to snatch a first in this race from the hands of the great Hutter