TRACK TEAMS BEAT JUMBOS

Contest Gives Mikkola Idea Of Teams' Ability in Action

The informal meet against Tufts Saturday afternoon in Briggs Cage enabled Coach Jaakko Mikkola to get a line on the abilities of his charges as they went into action against outside competition for the fist time this season. The Varsity and Freshman teams copped 16 firsts and a goodly number of seconds out of 21 track and field events to defeat the Jumbos convincingly. Times were taken but not released or counted for scores.

In the field events the Crimson Varsity took firsts in all but the broad jump, marking a clean sweep of first, second, and third in the shotput, hammer throw, and pole vault. Dick Pfister, in his track clothes for only the second time this fall, placed first in the shotput event.

Missing the services of four outstanding distance men, the Varsity was only good for second and thirds in the three-quarter-mile and 1000-yard runs; but Bill Palson looked impressive in winning the one and one-quarter mile, and Ward Slingerland beat two Jumbos to the tape in the 440.

The absence of Dong Pirnie didn't hurt Harvard's showing in the sprints very much, as Moe Young and Bill Trainor took first and second respectively in the 35-yard dash.

Wes Flint, former Noble and Greenough hurdler, and Ted Sparrow, star Tufts freshmen who went to Browne and Nichols, renewed their prep school rivalry in the 35-yard high hurdles. The boys were neck until sparrow fell on the second hurdle, and Flint went on to win.

Pete Garland, Jack and Bill Fisher, Yardling football players, were outstanding in the Freshmen field events; and Ted Withington was way out in front for the Crimson in the Freshman 300-yard run.