Wrestling Team Loses Opening Meet to MIT

For the first time in years, MIT's Varsity and Freshman wrestlers swept their annual matches with the Crimson. Saturday afternoon in the Tech gym, the injury-hit Varsity dropped its set of contests, 18 to 16, and the Freshmen lost, 23 to 16.

Captain Dick Thomas of the Crimson Varsity defeated his 155-pound opponent in one of the afternoon's most brilliant and one-sided exhibitions, by pinning his man in the second period with a bar arm and body press and in the third with a vicious keylock.

Rogstad Victorious

Tom Rogstad, heavyweight contender after a disastrous first period finally threw his 220-pound opponent with a side body press at 5 minutes. Hal Tine in the 165-pound class and Ted Guild in the 128 were the other Harvard winners, both by decision.

Although overwhelmed by the defending victors, the Crimson Yardlings unveiled two talented wrestlers in Gus Hemenway and Al Page, despite the fact that the latter lost his match by a 10-9 decision.

Bob Sanford and heavyweight Frank French also triumphed, Sanford by a default and French by felling his opponent in 1:04 minutes. Hemenway took his bout by a 12-9 decision. Charlie Gudiatis, after being pinned at 52 seconds of the second period, threw his man at 53 of the third and was awarded three points, while his victorious opponent received five.