Work of Judo Club To Continue Rest of Year

6 Members Attend Course; Club Decides on New Name

Recently changing its name from the Judo Club to the Liberty Scientific Self-Defense Association, a new class in the manly, if somewhat Japanese, art of jiu-jitsu has proved successful enough to keep functioning for the rest of the year.

According to W. Tudor Gardiner, who instructs the class, judo has not lost face because of its enemy origin. The army approves it as a method used by military police to deal with wayward draftees.

Boxing Now A Game

"In fact, jiu-jitsu is the only sport that teaches the real art of self-defense," said Gardiner. "Boxing and wrestling have degenerated into games."

Meeting on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 2 o'clock, the class now boasts six regular members. One or two new holds are learned each week in its hour sessions, which are still open to additional aspirants.

One of the most difficult holds according to Gardiner, is the spring hip throw. It consists of maneuvering an opponent on to the right hip, then flipping him over to the floor by twisting his right elbow.

No Casualties Reported

Although dangerous if used unskillfully, judo can be a painless method of getting rid of opponents quickly. No casualties have yet been reported from the class.

Not noted for their painlessness, the Japanese require all school children to learn jiu-jitsu. Almost all members of the Nipponese naval and armed forces are skilled at it.