CRIMSON TOPS LYNN 18 TO 1 IN PRACTICE TILT

Sophomore Line Sparks Six As Everts Scores 4 Times

By John C. Bullard

An up and coming Sophomore line paced the Harvard hockey team to a lopsided 18 to 1 victory over the Lynn Crescents in an unofficial game played last night at the Boston Skating Club.

Al Everts, center of the '44 trio, scored four goals; his right wing, Sandy Macmillan, tallied three times, and his left wing, Mark Beebe, passed the goalie twice. What especially pleased Coach Clark Hodder about this line was that their scoring resulted from heady teamwork and good passing rather than spectacular solo rushes.

McGrath Scores Three Times

Gordy McGrath had three goals to his credit, and Johnny Paine two. The rest of Harvard's 18-goal spree was made up of single tallies by Captain Greely Summers, George Dreher, Johnny Burton, and George Gebelein.

The Crimson went ahead in 6:04 of the first period when Everts loosened the floodgates. Fifteen seconds later Lynn tied the count at one all, but thereafter the game was all Harvard. The Hoddermen scored four goals in the first period, six in the second, and eight in the third.

Crimson in Better Condition

While there was no doubt of Harvard's superiority, the difference between the two teams is not indicated by the score. Lynn was not in condition for strenuous hockey, and the visitors fell apart at the seams late in every period. Not only did the Crimson fall to score in the first five minutes of each period, but also in each succeeding one Harvard scored more goals than in that preceding it, indicating that Lynn's physical condition was poor.

But Harvard was a much better looking team than a year ago at this time, and Hodder has good reason to be satisfied with the squad's showing in its first action. Before timekeeper saw service, including Bill LaCroix, who refereed the first period.

Hodder's starting line consisted of Burgy Ayres at center, flanked by Johnny Burton and Demi Lloyd. Captain Summers and Dreher played defense, and Ab Fenn was in the goal.