Post-War Council Launched At Dunster House Tonight

Hopper Leads Group At Initial Meeting

Launching what may become a nationwide college organization, the new Harvard Council on Post-War Problems will embark on its year's program tonight at 7:30 o'clock in Dunster House Large Common Room.

Bruce C. Hopper '18, associate professor of Government, will provide the send-off with a general discussion of the issues involved in making the peace effective and permanent if the democratic nations win the war.

After the group has been divided into four study committees, Shepard Jones, representative of the World Peace Foundation, will describe existing peace organizations and outline sources of information.

Committee Members to Be Chosen

Members who will be chosen from undergraduates present, will use these sources each week for research in International Political Organization, World Trade, Domestic Problems, and the German Question. Edward A. Ames '42, George R. Clay '43, Maurice Friedman '43, and Paul C. Sheeline '43 will explain the fields each group will investigate and will form a steering committee for the first few weeks.

Guided by graduate students of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Medford, members will interpret the pros and cons of post-war issues across the conference table. The decisions of these seminars are to be presented at bi-weekly symposiums in which three or four of the committee will discuss phases of a specific problem. These forums, and a magazine to be planned as soon as organization has been effected, will present the Council's findings and opinions to the public.

If the Harvard pioneer body succeeds in becoming permanent, similar organizations may be created in other colleges patterned on the forum plan. A New York philanthropist, whose donation of funds initiated the Council, may grant money for these groups.

"The establishment of non-partisan undergraduate councils to consider phases of the peace problem" is specified in the grant of funds, which explains that "college students' greatest job in the present emergency is to use their education to understand the world in which we live."