NAVY TIED BY MATMEN 16-16

Vern Miller Felled in Two Minutes; 1944 Triumph

The Navy jinx is broken at last. Before an enthusiastic capacity crowd in the indoor Athletic Building the grapplers held the sailor-boys to a 16 to 16 tie Saturday afternoon while the Freshmen downed Governor Dummer, 23 to 13.

The Crimson had it all over the visitors in the two lightweight events. Wiry Jim Redmon, of the 121-pound class sailed into his first intercollegiate opponent of the year and pinned him in four and a half minutes. 128-pound Tod Schoenberg showed superb mat technique by downing his man in just over a minute.

Jim Higgins had a tough fight on his hands. Earl Buckwalter of Navy had the upper hand from the start, but Jim kept fighting and held his opponent to a decision.

In the 145-pound class Dick Thomas won a decision for Harvard, but Lee Ackerman dropped his match in the 155 pounder. Lee definitely had the edge at first, but he weakened considerably after the first two minutes, and his last minute rally was unsuccessful.

Lacey Wins Decision

This left the score at 13 to 6. Much depended on Tom Lacey's 165-pound fight, owing to Navy's strength in the higher weight brackets. Therefore the stands roared as Tom threatened to pin his opponent in the first minute. But the sailor managed to wrench himself free, and Lacey had to content himself with a decision.

The matmen were now assured of at least a tie, but 175-pound Dick Aldrich seemed a little sluggish. He was pinned in just under six minutes.

The climax of the afternoon came in the heavyweight class, when Vern Miller tackled former national champion John Harrell. Miller seized the champion and gave him three tremendous tugs with all his 250 pounds, but Harrell caught Vern off balance and pinned him in less than two minutes.