Swimmers Submerge Navy at Annapolis

Powers Leads Crimson to 50-25 Win; Bosworth Sets Record in Backstroke

Harvard's well-balanced tank team scored a one-sided 50 to 25 victory over Navy at Annapolis Saturday after noon. Coach Ulen's squad showed exceptional strength in the four free-style events, limiting the Middies to but one first and nothing else but routine thirds.

Gordon Wiley took the 50 as expected in 24 flat, ahead of Ted McNitt and Lonnie Stowell. The 220, the 100, and the 440, however, were all one-two Crimson sweeps, with Captain Frannie Powers Art Bosworth, Bus Curwen, Frank Gorman and Stowell in the winning roles. Midshipman Jim Conger was expected to be troublesome in the distances so Gorman's victory over him for second in the quarter was something of a surprise. Curwen, of course, was an easy winner in 5:09.

Bosworth Wins Backstroke

Art Bosworth entered his first backstroke race of the season and cracked a pool record, winning in 1:42.7 with Sophomore Bill Drucker a good second. Bob White and Max Kraus had to be content with a second and third respectively in the breaststroke, which went to Middle Roy Edelson in 2:36.9. Diver Brad Patterson collected 99.1 points in another improved performance and took a second behind Bud Fisher. The number one Crimson springboard artist, Shaw McCutcheon, did not see action but will probably be ready for the Dartmouth meet this Saturday.

In the final event of the afternoon, the reserve relay quartet composed of Bob Sceery, Tom Godfrey, Dave Stearns, and Tom Shrewsbury defeated the Navy regulars in a creditable 3:47.8 clocking.

The Freshmen meet with Andover was called off, and the All-House swimming squad topped Exeter 39 to 27.