GROUP FLAYS CONANT FOR WAR SPEECH

Prominent Students Urge "Short of War" Emphasis

Lashing out at President Conant's attempt to convert the passage of the Lend-Lease Bill into a religious crusade against Nazism, the Harvard Committee Against Military Intervention pleaded that the overwhelming "short of war" sentiment expressed in the passage of the bill be duly recognized in a statement last night.

The statement claimed that "Mr. Conant made no attempt to analyze the merits and demerits of the Lend-Lease Bill, the purpose for which he was ostensibly called to Washington."

"Such an address," they claimed, defeated the purpose of a Senate hearing on the bill, by converting the hearing from a critical appraisal of a proposed piece of legislation into a sounding board for all sorts of political guesswork."

It was the sentiment of the comittee that while Americans recognize the danger of British capitulation they will not engage in a long and bloody struggle to reshape the map of the continent.

"There is nothing in the American spirit today that could conceivably be interpreted as a desire to wage a religious crusade and it is unlikely that the young men of America will permit themselves to be shipped abroad for a foreign war."

Singing the statement were David K. Eichler, graduate representative. Tuder Gardiner 1L, Seth Crocker '41, Joseph P. Lyford '41, Thomas Lacey '41, Alan Gottlieb '41, William Hodson '42.