1944 PICKS MERMEN, HOOPSTER CHIEFS

Yardlings Lose Swimming Meet To Dartmouth Freshmen 47 to 28

Two Freshman teams elected captains over the weekend: George M. (Bunks) Burditt, of LaGrange, Illinois and Matthews all was made captain of the basketball team and John D. (Big John) Eusden of Newton and Thayer Hall was voted leader of the swimming team.

The new captains are stars in their fields. Burditt, who is also chairman of the Freshman Committee of Phillips Brooks House, has scored 83 points in eight games from his position as center and Eusden has won six and placed second in three of the 10 races he has swum. His specialities are the 50 and 100 yard free-style races. This is his first year of competitive swimming.

The team that Eusden leads has a good record, having won three out of their five meets with six more contests to come. Last Saturday night they lost to the Dartmouth Freshmen 47-28, with only two wins, W. L. Hewes placing first in the dive and D. F. Barnes winning the 220-yard free-style event. The team garnered five second places: D. Harting in the breaststroke, Capt. Eusden in the 50 and 100 yard free-style, P. R. Shutt in the 150 yard backstroke, and G. Christman, 3rd in the 400 yard free-style.