AIR CORPS OFFERS CHANCE TO MAKE CAREER OF DRAFT

Single, Physically Fit Men Can Escape Kitchen Police

If you are an American, single, and if you want to dodge the draft; apply to the Army Air Corps Cadet Training Program.

Instead of doing kitchen police duty in Camp Edwards, successful Air Cadets are made commissioned officers at $205 a month. But only 50 per cent of the applicants pass the thorough physical exam which requires perfect eyesight, 64 to 74 inches of height, a good physique, and at least "12 natural, opposing teeth." Lacking in the exam are the old-time tricks such as firing a pistol next to one's ear.

After the physical test, the candidate receives an appointment as a cadet. With $75 a month, plus food, lodging, and clothes, he begins his seven-month training course, which includes three months in elementary civilian schools, two months of basic army flying, and two months of advanced flying. He then enters active duty with a reserve officer's pay.

College students may take advantage of a special ruling which provides that one's appointment may be deferred until the end of the college year, if he takes his physical exam in the winter. If, by chance, an especially good job in a defense industry turns up, the applicant may have his active duty postponed indefinitely even after appointment. But once the trainee has begun the course, he must carry through the required three years of service.

Pilots who have completed the CAA training have an edge over others, since they seldom flunk out of this Cadet Training course in spite of greater severity in the Army requirements.