Yacht Club Will Teach Sailing at Shore School

The Harvard Yacht Club will, this spring, have at its disposal the new and greater facilities of the Community Sailing Association for its program of instruction, sailing, and racing.

Because of this, the Club will be able to sponsor a Shore School for the purpose of teaching the elements of sailing and seamanship to those members of the University who wish to learn how to sail or who need additional instruction in seamanship for a summer berth on a boat.

Before any member of the Yacht Club may use the new facilities of the Community Sailing Association, he must pass a test covering shore school training and another simple test on the practical care and handling of dinghies.

According to Commodore Roger Willcox '41, the Yacht Club will offer better opportunities to its members this spring than it ever has before. Willcox pointed out that the Student Employment Office repeatedly asks for experienced sailing instructors to fill camp or yacht club jobs.

The Community Sailing Association will need many instructors for its summer program in the Boston Community Houses, teaching boys' and girls' clubs the elements of sailing. Training for all these jobs will be provided in the Yacht Club's program which will get under way late this month, Willcox said.