FRANCE HOPES THAT ENGLAND WILL WIN; LOYAL TO PETAIN

Professor Morize Asserts That Vichy Resists Hitler

Forgetting their temporary estrangement from their former ally after their collapse last June, the French have become decidedly anti-Nazi and base their hopes upon a British victory, according to Andre Morize, professor of French Literature.

The former member of the French Ministry of Information, who was working in the employ of the Third Republic just before the armistice, in an interview yesterday said that he believed that the French are altogether loyal to the person of Petain.

Hitler Breaks Armistice

The armistice, concluded with Nazi Germany last June 25 by Petain in the naive hope that it was between soldiers and was signed in a sense of honor, means nothing to Hitler. As set forth in Mein Kampf, he is attempting to "inflict exactions progressively and by stages" on the prisoners of the armistice, Professor Morize stated.

Since, under the ominous phrasing of Article I of the armistice, the Government of the Reich has all the rights of an occupying power, Petain cannot help yielding to any German demands which come under this provision, Professor Morize believes.

French Military, Colonies Protected

While Hitler considers the armistice to be a flexible machine, certain articles, such as the eighth and ninth, safeguard special rights to France in respect to the navy, air force, colonies, and naval or air bases. Petain takes the position of refusing any German demands that go against these provisions.

With the Germans complete masters of France, he said, "we cannot judge in specific cases whether actions taken by the Vichy Government are of French origin, merely suggested by Germany, the results of bargaining between the two governments, or actual demands of the Nazis."

That incessant demands to turn over portions of their fleet and air force, to give German and Italian troops permission to march through French territory, and otherwise to engage in active military collaboration with the Axis have been refused is due entirely to Petain, Professor Morize continued.

Laval Hitler's Stooge?

"But what about Laval?" he asked. "I wish I could read his mind. Is he a mere traitor? Is it personal ambition? Or does he sincerely believe that a German collaboration is better than even a British victory? Here the fact is that Laval is playing the game of the Germans, and in so doing he is fighting Petain."