NO-WAR BLOC URGES FDR TO KEEP PROMISE

Letter Says Our Entry Will Endanger Democracy

Calling upon President Roosevelt to fulfill his pledge to keep this country out of war, the Harvard Committee Against Military Intervention will send to the President today a letter which states, "We feel that entry into a long and dangerous war would gravely threaten American democracy even if we were victorious."

The letter, which was released by Tudor Gardiner 1L, chairman of the Committee, last night, reads as follows:

"Dear Mr. President,

"We are typical young Americans, neither Communists nor Nazis, neither pacifists nor isolationists, neither jingoists nor appeasers. We are ready to fight for our country, but we do not think that the cause of America or of democracy or of humanity would be served by military intervention in the European war.

"It is unnecessary for us to remind you of your pledge to keep this country out of war, and of the vigorous determination for peace expressed in the last election by the American people, but in this storm of war propaganda we think that we should affirm to you our own earnest conviction that aid to Britain must be kept short of war.

"While we detest totalitarianism in any guise, we feel that entry into a long and dangerous war would gravely threaten American democracy even if we were victorious. But America's most pressing responsibilities lie among our own people and in our own hemisphere. We advocate hemisphere cooperation and defence in accordance with these duties as our best service to democracy and to the world. We favor measures to prevent profiteering in the crisis, and we are against any encroachment on social gains.

"It is our generation that would have to live in the war-torn chaos which the interventionists are trying to force on us. In the defence of America we are ready for any sacrifice, but for America's sake and democracy's we feel obliged to submit to you our firm belief that we have the strength to preserve democracy in the Western Hemisphere and that we must not dissipate this strength in European and Asiatic wars."

Not circulated at large throughout the University, the letter was signed by the members of the Committee Against Mili- tary Interventions which includes the following students: Tudor Gardiner 1L, David K. Eichler 1G, Paul C. Hoover 2G, Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. 2L, Kenneth T. Young, Jr. 2G, Robert A. Taft, Jr. 2L, E. Langdon Burwell '41, Seth C. Crocker '41, H. Whitney Dodge '41, John V. Frank '41, Alan Gottlieb '41, Joseph P. Lyford '41, Henry D. Oyen '41, John P. Bunker '42, William Hodson '42, Thomas Lacey 2nd '42, Harry Newman, Jr. '42, William A. Stenzel '44, Charles W. Young '44, and Robert J.M. Matteson 2P.A